As a musician, choosing the right musical instrument is essential to your success. Flutes are no exception to this rule, and the options can be overwhelming. The alto flute and bass flute have become increasingly popular in recent years. However, purchasing a brand new flute can be expensive, especially for beginner or intermediate players.
This is where the option of a second hand alto flute or bass flute can come in handy. In this article, we will explore the benefits of purchasing a second hand flute and why it can be a great investment for your music career. We will also delve into some of the most popular brands, including Armstrong, Yamaha, Pearl, and Muramatsu, and discuss the different types of flutes, including the curved headjoint, nickel silver, gold, and concert flutes.
Why Choose a Second Hand Alto Flute or Bass Flute?
Here are some reasons why purchasing a second hand flute can be a great investment:
- Affordability – The most obvious benefit of purchasing a second hand flute is its affordability. Second hand instruments are typically sold at a lower price than brand new ones, making it a great option for those on a budget. A second has alto flute can be as cheap as $300 depending on how good and usable it is.
- Quality – Many second hand instruments have already been played and tested, which means that any issues with the instrument would have been addressed and fixed. Therefore, you can expect to find a quality instrument that has already been broken in and has a unique sound.
- Variety – Since flutes are not as commonly played as other instruments, finding a new one at a music store can be a challenge. However, purchasing a second hand flute opens up a world of possibilities in terms of finding unique and vintage models.
Where To Get Second Hand Alto Flute Online
If you’re in the market for a second hand alto flute, there are many online resources available to help you find the perfect instrument for your needs. Here are a few places where you can start your search:
Reverb – Reverb is an online marketplace for musical instruments, including second hand alto flutes. You can browse through listings from individual sellers or music stores and filter your search based on brand, condition, and price range.
eBay – eBay is another popular online marketplace where you can find a variety of second hand alto flutes for sale. Like Reverb, you can filter your search based on various criteria to find the instrument that best fits your needs.
Flute World – Flute World is a website dedicated to all things flute-related. They offer a wide selection of second hand alto flutes, as well as other types of flutes, accessories, and sheet music.
Woodwind & Brasswind – Woodwind & Brasswind is an online music store that offers a variety of instruments, including second hand alto flutes. They have a selection of brands to choose from, such as Armstrong, Gemeinhardt, and Yamaha.
Facebook Marketplace – Facebook Marketplace is a great place to find local sellers who may be offering second hand alto flutes for sale. You can filter your search based on location to find instruments in your area.
No matter where you choose to purchase your second hand alto flute, it’s important to do your research and ensure that you’re buying from a reputable seller. Check the seller’s ratings and reviews, and don’t be afraid to ask questions or request additional photos of the instrument before making a purchase. By taking the time to find the right instrument for your needs, you can enjoy playing beautiful music on your second hand alto flute for years to come.
Popular Brands of Flutes
There are many brands of flutes on the market, each with its own unique sound and style. Here are some popular brands:
- Armstrong – Armstrong flutes are known for their warm and rich sound. They offer a variety of models, including the Armstrong Alto Flute.
- Yamaha – Yamaha is a well-respected brand in the music world. Their flutes are known for their quality and consistency. They offer a variety of models, including the Yamaha YFL-222 and the Yamaha YFL-481H.
- Pearl – Pearl flutes are known for their precision and craftsmanship. They offer a variety of models, including the Pearl Quantz 665 Series.
- Muramatsu – Muramatsu is a Japanese brand that is known for its high-end flutes. They offer a variety of models, including the Muramatsu EX and the Muramatsu DS.
- Ssankyo – Ssankyo is a Korean brand that is known for its high-quality flutes. They offer a variety of models, including the Ssankyo Etude.
Types of Flutes
When it comes to choosing a flute, there are several different types to consider. Here are some of the most popular types of flutes:
- Concert Flute – The concert flute is the most common type of flute. It is typically made of silver or nickel silver and produces a bright and clear sound.
- Alto Flute – The alto flute is a larger version of the concert flute and produces a deeper, mellower sound. It is often used in jazz and chamber music.
- Bass Flute – The bass flute is an even larger version of the flute and produces a deep, rich sound. It is often used in orchestral music and is sometimes used as a solo instrument.
- Curved Headjoint – The curved headjoint is a modification that can be made to any type of flute. It is designed to make the flute more comfortable to play for those with shorter arms. The curved headjoint allows the player to hold the flute more comfortably and to reach the keys more easily.
- Nickel Silver Flute – Nickel silver flutes are made of a combination of nickel, copper, and zinc. They are known for their bright and clear sound and are often used by beginner and intermediate players.
- Gold Flute – Gold flutes are made of solid gold or a combination of gold and other metals. They are known for their warm and rich sound and are often used by professional players.
FAQs About Second Hand Alto FLute
Q: Is it safe to buy a second hand flute? A: Yes, it is safe to buy a second hand flute as long as you buy it from a reputable seller. It is always a good idea to have the instrument checked by a professional before making a purchase.
Q: How do I know if a second hand flute is in good condition? A: Before purchasing a second hand flute, it is important to have it checked by a professional. They will be able to identify any issues with the instrument and advise you on its condition.
Q: How much should I expect to pay for a second hand flute? A: The price of a second hand flute can vary depending on the brand, model, and condition of the instrument. However, second hand flutes are generally less expensive than brand new ones.
In conclusion, purchasing a second hand alto flute or bass flute can be a great investment for your music career. It is affordable, provides a unique sound, and offers a variety of options to choose from. It is important to choose the right type of flute for your needs, whether it be a concert flute, alto flute, or bass flute, and to consider the different modifications, such as the curved headjoint, nickel silver, or gold flutes. With popular brands like Armstrong, Yamaha, Pearl, and Muramatsu, finding the right second hand flute has never been easier. Remember to have the instrument checked by a professional before making a purchase, and enjoy the beautiful sound of your new flute!